Greenbriar East is excited to announce our “My Summer Reading Emoji Log” summer reading program. The summer months provide the perfect opportunity to extend and enrich your child’s reading experiences. Attached you will find a reading log where your child will record and rate by emoji the books he or she enjoyed over the summer. Please have your child return the reading log to Ms. Bruechert or Ms. Cassidy by Friday, September 7th. All participants will be invited to our Summer Reading Celebration at the beginning of the school year.
The following tips may be helpful for encouraging your child to read:
- Encourage your child to select the books that interest them.
- It is recommended students going into grades K-3 should read around 15 books this summer
- It is recommended students going into grades 4-5 should read around 10 books this summer
- Whenever possible, children should read at least 10-20 minutes per day
- Read aloud to your child, even if they want to read independently
- Read outside
- Set aside a portion of the day as a Drop Everything and Read
- Ask your child questions about the book. Keep the conversations authentic by making connections with your own experience or previous books you have read
Summer reading clubs and programs are available at the public library. Remember to check out local bookstores for new releases for your child to read.
Whether on the beach or hanging inside on a rainy day…don’t forget to curl up with a good book!
Have a wonderful and safe summer!
Ms. Bruechert and Ms. Cassidy